Saturday, September 12, 2009

Small but Mighty Hiker

I began taking Blarney on 5k walks through the forest and over the graveyard at about 4.5 months. At the beginning he was challenged by one particular log and couldn't climb some steep rocks but now, two weeks later, his front legs have gained strength and nothing holds him back. In the forest he likes to tag along at my feet. On open grass, he's beginning to forage ahead a little. I often wait a bit while he sniffs out interesting places. I'm sure every sniff is a delight. We see deer sometimes but he has yet to give chase. Living down so low, I'm not sure he always sees the things I do. It's the smells that excite him. Meeting another dog is always exciting. He's right there in front, trying to protect me with the big bark and flashing charge. Soon he'll know the word 'walk' and be eager to leave the house. It's obvious he's enjoying himself more each time. Wet ground doesn't bother him. I think he enjoys the towel, rub down at the end.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, so reminiscent of my dachshunds, Schulzie and Leroy! Dachies are the coolest little dogs! I am blessed with Amos now, a long-haired, brown and white dachshund belonging to my daughter Kirstin. (My grand-pup!)

    ReplyDelete